In today’s tute, we showed Paul, Robin (just realised these are the names of my aunty and uncle. Weird) and the rest of the class the rough cut we’ve put together so far.
The feedback regarding what needed work was as I expected it. That bloody first scene. It is simply too boring and we’ve done ourselves a disservice with coverage. Paul highlighted that while an outside first AD was advantageous in that their primary concern was to keep the ball rolling in terms of the schedule, they’re not perhaps quite as attached as an RMIT student first AD might be (who would put more emphasis on ensuring all coverage had been taken care of).
How do we solve this problem? Paul and Robin agreed that if the film was made even more overtly dark and whacky, cutaways of a creepy house exterior would intercut well with Petunia’s monologue. The pair think this is achievable, particularly given the odd nature of the story complete with police assault and corpse concealing.
Shifting the film’s tone to one of surrealism and expressionism can be achieved with a few editing techniques with colour balance being the most obvious choice. Making this transition will also remedy another perceived flaw of Paul and Robin’s: the lack of context surrounding Sarah’s actions. For them, Sarah’s motive is unclear but they feel that by integrating elements of the avant-garde into our film, the need for such expository will no longer exist.
Sounds like we’ve got a bit of work to do but I feel heaps more confident today after receiving some clear steps to take in the next week. The class also complimented us on our shot design and casting amongst other facets of the film.