Today we discussed the worksheet handed out in tutes last week regarding the landscape we are working in now and how we can understand its direction.
“It’s a jungle out there…”
Best things we have learnt:
- Changing roles of creatives/artists – we need to be multi-skilled and competent.
- Death of the author
- Fan culture/Fandom
- Participatory culture influencing the direction of media – we have become creators of our own media and there are multiple platforms we have to be across to get a fuller understanding of the world of the show.
- Split screen culture
Issues that will face the media:
- Amateur culture/new production models undercutting experience
- Digitalisation of culture/augmented reality
- New TV
- Innovation is a struggle for Australia because we are always playing catch up.
- Copyright Laws – Spotify is a middle way
- Ratings are no longer accurate because they don’t count online viewers/downloads
- House of Cards – you don’t pay for content, they pay you to watch the ads.
- How can we make media sustainable with the prevalence of downloading? What are new advertising and revenue models?
- Viral content/ Hype.
- Defining the ethics of the digital space and creating a community bound by more than the circumstance of being online.
Things we can do:
- New funding models that focus on younger makers and specific contexts/ Utilize fan culture
- Focus on the auxiliary skills studying the media brings – it now surrounds us so much its vital to understand it – we can read the language and speak the language.
- National Broadband Network
- Understand the new markets and the new narratives we must create