Today we started logging the tape from our film shoot.
The footage looks great, very happy with how it all turned out. The costumes, locations and lighting all worked out really well – and it’s so rewarding to see the finished product on screen!
We started capturing the tape, which was about 90min worth of tape! Initially, we started capturing the whole tape….which we knew was a lazy approach, but it just seemed like the most time effective way to do things, and given that it was the day after our shoot, we were exhausted!. However, Robin happened to be in the editing suites and showed us the best and most organized way to log and capture. This involved: Playing the tape (while keeping your eye on the shot list sheet – we had a fantastic sheet which our wonderful AD Tyler did) and when the desired take comes up pressing ‘i’ for in point and ‘o’ for outpoint. We would then go through the tape doing this at about 10 shots at a time, after each ten shots we would click ‘batch capture’, this would then capture all 10 takes.
Each shot would then be organized into specific folders or in this case ‘bins’. To keep things simple, we broke our script up into six main sections ‘Beginning’, ‘End’, ‘Smiddy’, Frank’, Babydoll’ and Colonel’ – this way we knew where to find all the footage without having to refer to the shot list each time.
This approach was a great way to log and capture our footage, as it forced us to closely watch all of our material, taking notes along the way about what we liked about each shot (ie: Good acting, bad lighting, out of focus). If we had of simply ‘captured all’ the footage, we wouldn’t have been as familiar with the footage, and upon viewing it once captured, we most likely would have quickly skipped through it all.
It does pay to be organized (with everything in life…..well, almost everything) so I’m sure this will make the editing process much much smoother!