This week in IM1, we were put into our groups again for our final end of semester Korsakow project, where we must collaborate once again and produce one single work together, creating the videos and the K-Film itself. For some reason I thought this was an individual project, but I was wrong, which is OK, because I like working in groups and feeling as though I am part of a ‘team’. Anyway, in this weeks tute we went through an exercise, where we brainstormed our ideas onto blank paper based on a the type of K-Film we were going to go for (Fiction, Documentary, Song/Lyrical etc.) and how we were going to communicate this (The text, Tactical Creativity, Poly-vocal video and so on…), then we grouped the words that we had brainstormed into little “islands” of words, and hey presto, we have a “K-film”.
At first, I struggled severely with this task. Maybe is was because I was a little tired, but I was stubborn to this method of thinking in a childish manor. This is something I have to work on overcoming, I have to force myself to adhere to new approaches and new ways of thinking, otherwise I will not expand my mind and I will not begin to produce content that is original and unique to that of which I have produced in the past. Anyway, I think the real reason why I was stubborn to this approach was because I already had several concrete concepts that I had formed in my mind and when we were told to start from square one, it threw me a little. I had already passed square one and was beginning to get into the next stage of production, yet I was forced to go back to square one and start again. I think this was the problem, but it really isn’t much of a problem though is it? I mean, at the end of the day I have got nothing to lose (other than discovering a new idea that I want to undertake and abandoning my old one, yet this will most likely be better than my previous one), therefore I might as well go through the motions and just maybe I will end up solidifying my original idea even further.
Anyway, I presented my idea to the group and they seemed to like it. This was it:
All the videos will be of one (or many) actors framed in the same way against the same backdrop and each of them will perform something based on a particular emotion that is directed to them (such as if they were unhappy, they would show that they are unhappy in their expression, or maybe they will say something spontaneously about being in an unhappy state or an experience that has happened to them, which made them unhappy.) Then these videos will be compiled into the K-Film and related to each other based on the emotional connection (such as unhappy may be linked with depressed etc.) Then the K-Film’s structure itself will revolve around the concept of “Discovering Happiness”, where the viewer will begin at a video, where the actor is crying severely and maybe discussing how she is going to attempt to kill herself (I know it’s a tad dark, but trust me, it lightens up!), then it is up to the viewer as to what videos they will click on next, as they slowly begin to “find happiness”, which will be the be the end film (probably the actor laughing historically and stating how she or he is in an utter state of happiness). The viewer will feel as though they are controlling their journey and discovering happiness for themselves (which, in a way, they are), yet they will be guided along the way through the beauty of the Korsakow keywords, which means they will inevitably reach Happiness, it is just up to them as to how long it will take them. The point is, it will be fairly clear to that viewer that the concept of the film is to discover happiness, which is something that I had wanted: clarity. I want the film to make sense. Even though the song-like, lyrical pieces are quite beautiful, I am determined to make my “fiction” film work. I believe that it will work as well!
Anyway as I was saying, I presented this idea to the group and they seemed to like it, therefore we began to develop it further by discussing how we could have the actor expression the emotion in their face and using that video for the thumbnails themselves, then we could have the video link to a documentary-style video that would showcase the emotion in a way that could be abstract or fairly literal. At this point Adrian came over and we presented this idea to him, he said that is wouldn’t work. We had a little mental cry and asked why. He said that is wouldn’t work because of the “(I forgot the name of it)” method, where an image of an actor expressing a particular emotion may be seen as many different emotions to different people, or may be changed based on the image that you juxtapose the expression with. We agreed. Instead he suggested the idea that I had originally come up with (of just one single actor in front of the same backdrop with the same framing etc.). We agreed on doing this.
So it was set! This is our concept, we have our shooting date, we have our actor and we are ready to get cracking!
We also have a meeting on Wednesday after our assessment meeting of our first Korsakow projects, therefore in this meeting we will discuss our concept and refine it further plus work on some pre-production stuff such as production design and scheduling. I will make a blog post that will reflect all this once we have the meeting. In the meantime, click here.